|How To Remove Viruses From A Computer
Remove Trojan horse viruses, worms, etc..
Tips To Help Keep Viruses Off Your Computer:
- Download, install and update Anti-Virus Software.
- Disconnect from the Internet.
- Open Internet Explorer - clear your cookies and cache.
- To delete cookies in IE: Tools >> Internet Options >> on the General tab choose Delete Cookies. You will be asked 'Delete all cookies in the Temporary Internet Files folder? Click OK.
- To delete the cache in IE: Tools >> Internet Options >> on the General tab choose Delete Files. Be sure to place a check in the box that says 'Delete all offline content'. Click OK
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- OPTIONAL: If you are using Windows ME or Windows XP or Vista, disable System Restore.
- Sometimes viruses can hide in System
Restore files in which case turning
off off system restore will delete
those files. (Warning: If you disable
System Restore you will remove all previous
restore points, which means that you will
no longer have the option of restoring
the computer to a date when the computer
was last functioning normally.)
- Run a full system scan on the computer. This might take some time depending on how much data the anti-virus software needs to sift through. Be patient, let the software do it's job.
- If you find that the anti-virus software is having trouble removing a virus you might need to run MSCONFIG and figure out which startup process is responsible for loading the infected file.
- After all viruses have been quarantined
or removed, reboot the computer and connect
to the Internet then run Windows
Update - select all critical updates.
- Do not open email attachments - unless you can verify they are 100% safe.
- Stay away from questionable websites.
- Be careful when downloading using P2P (Peer
to Peer) file sharing software. Always scan
your downloads with anti-virus
software before you open them!
- Keep Microsoft Windows up-to-date using Windows Update.
- Keep your anti-virus software up-to-date
and run scans periodically.
- Run a software firewall - you can download a firewall here and you can find out what a firewall is by clicking here.
- Do not install any software unless the source can be verified. When in doubt search for the software title on Google - you can do that here.
- Stop using Internet Explorer and switch
to a more secure web browser, for example:
These methods are not guaranteed
to remove all viruses. This article is meant as
a general tutorial and a place to start when attempting
to remove viruses.